Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Pig Roasting Party (Buta no Maruyaki)

I was invited by Tateki-kun, my MMA fighter friend to a 'Pig Roasting Party' over the weekend.
I didn't think too much about the event until receiving a picture of him with the purchased pig.
It's huge!













I've never seen a whole pig being roasted so like with any Urban sketcher, upon arrival I was on my way capturing the event.

Roasted Pig Sketch 

Roasted Pig Sketch 

These guys have been up since 6AM, preparing and cooking.
They even made a custom grill and prepared a custom made metal rod for roasting pork just for this event!

Pig Roasting Party 

Couple of hours in, the roasting is almost done. We all waited around chatting and a little shuteye for the members that have been up since early morning.
I love idle waiting times like this since I seem to be able to capture the most natural scene.


Pig Roasting Party 

The 3rd sketch done after eating 1/2 of the pork!
The taste was amazing just off of the grill but some Brazilian rock salt, BBQ sauce or lemon juice gave it an additional flavor too.

 
Pig Roasting Party 

It was delicious and what an event!
Nothing went to waste and I was told that even the bones were used to create broth for curry.
Thanks for the great experience!